Takin' care of business.

So, I got a job. My very first full time job. Actually I've been at it for a while. This week is, in fact, my fifth week if you count my first two weeks of full time training. I am a billing specialist at a web hosting company. BlueHost. Except not really BlueHost because I am working for JustHost. It was really a cruel trick of them to play on me.

Although not so cruel since I don't think I ever even applied for the job. I had no idea what the company was before they called me for an interview. (Thank goodness they emailed me something to do so I could google them and find out) So I went to my interview and didn't even know what job I was interviewing for. Yeah. I got the job. They liked me. They even miraculously gave me the perfect shifts --Monday through Friday 6am to 2:30pm. You can question my sanity, but we go to bed at 9 and get up at 5 and it works. Plus I have the whole afternoon to live my life and do things like write blogs and read books and other things. It's great.

Work is an adventure. Sitting at a desk all day gives you serious neck tweaks. When I wear glasses my eyes ache by the end of the day, but with contacts that doesn't happen. And something insane happens each day to keep me on my toes.

Like the day a woman called in to make sure her deceased husbands account was canceled. His domain? onehornypapa That's right...

Or the other day on a chat with a guy who asked me to look up his account and see why it was showing up as suspended. I found an email from a woman, we'll call her Elle, who canceled the account. Someone told Elle that they needed Tom's permission to cancel the account, and she said "Tom is deceased. Please just cancel and refund me my money as it has been hard enough for me since I'm his girlfriend." They followed her instructions. Well, here I am chatting with Tom, who seems alive to me, and I tell him simply "the account was canceled by a woman named Elle." His response? "Lol. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.....I don't care about the account, I just wanted to confirm what I thought. She's gone off her meds and is trying to make me miserable." Umm...I had to laugh for a while about that one.

Also, occasionally on calls when I ask if there's anything else we can do for the customer I get responses like these:
"Well, I'd like your phone number, you have a beautiful voice" or
"You could wash and wax my car".

Adventure. Remember when my adventures included the streets of Italy? Not a cubicle in an old warehouse in Provo. Oh dear.

I talked to a man from Modica on the phone the other day. He was so excited to hear that I had lived in Ragusa. I miss that place, so much. O Italia, quanto mi manchi. Ti prometto che un giorno tornerĂ².

Comments

Alison Russell said…
Hahahah! At least work isn't boring ALL the time!! That sounds like a lot more interesting work than you expected it to be! Hope you're doing well, although it sounds like you are.

Popular posts from this blog

I belong with you, you belong with me

They'll learn much more than I'll ever know

and heaven's aid implore...