18 August 2010

Haha...I know what Christy's talking about...that part when she's writing letters and says "dear john, i mean wally, work harder" or something like that...

We're still struggling it out. It's rough. She thinks she's the only one having a difficult time so she likes to say things like "I feel miserable whenever I talk to you" and I dunno, I'm just kind of holding on and hoping that I'm not with her for a long time because it's just really discouraging and exhausting.

Last Wednesday we met a less-active named Sorella Bargelloni. I can't figure her out. She's a returned missionary but she married a man who isn't a member and evidently told the sisters before us that she didn't come to church because her husband wouldn't let her, but she said he's fairly open it's just that he's atheist when she talked to us. But she's nice. And it was kind of nice to see a house that wasn't perfect and children that weren't robots. Most houses here are spotless, they clean everything every day, and the children are quiet. Then they grow up and aren't, but anyway.

Last Thursday we went to see a woman who had invited us over, but she wasn't home. (I called her a few days ago and she said she had talked to her husband and he didn't want her to meet with us, so that's that), But then we knocked on the doors in her palazzo, and that was fun.
We saw Patrizia again. We called her to confirm the appointment in the morning, because we had set it tentatively the week before and then never said anything more about it, and she told us that she had to be somewhere else, but then let us come anyway. So that was good, I was excited that she had the chance to cancel and didn't--to me that's a good sign. It wasn't a very long lesson, but it was decent I think. She said she doesn't want to come to church and she may never, but she said she likes to meet with us and that it's okay if we keep hoping that she'll come back. Then in the afternoon we went and met this kid who we had "loaned" a Book of Mormon to, and he said he hadn't really read enough to know what he thought about it, so we told him he could keep it for another week and we'll see him again tomorrow. Nice kid though.
Then we did some more house, and there was a guy who just came up and asked if he could have my Book of Mormon, he said he's read it before and he's studied it for a long time, and said maybe he'll come to church, and just took the Book and walked away. Ha. That was kind of weird. We met a few really cool people that night. There was one kid, well I guess he's a man because he's 32 but he's a kid anyway because 32 year olds that live at home in Italy just are still kids I think, anyway we talked to him and he was really nicce, said he's atheist but gave us some orange soda. And he invited us to get pizza with him. We gave the Anziani his address and told them to go knock on his door and eat pizza with him and teach him the gospel. We'll see what he thinks. :)

Friday, oh mamma mia. Che giorno! Well, it was Friday the 13th so I guess it was bound to be a little weird, right? So we were almost to church and the Anziani called and told us there wasn't correlation, so we had to go home and do comp study. Fun... Then subito dopo we had to go find a bus-stop and wait at the bus-stop to go to have lunch with Sorella Delle Foglie who lives in Talsano. So we waited at the stop forever, got on a bus, and it took the longest and most roundabout way of all time to arrive in Talsano and finally drop us at her house. Sigh. Then she fed us soooo much food, luckily she let us take a bunch home but there was enough food for at least ten people, no kidding. And then we went home, were home for about half an hour and had to run and wait for another bus to go to Fia's. Well that bus didn't come for an hour and a half. We got a new facebook friend out of it and a possible English course student, but not a lot of gospel sharing going on there. Crazy day.

Saturday was planning and our deep cleaning day. Loads of fun! I actually really like cleaning days, they're nice, and they generally are very necessary. It was a pretty good day, honestly. And we cleaned the filters on the air conditioner so it works a lot more efficiently, although I think it needs to be serviced in some way...not sure. But much better. It was nice not to be outside in the heat especially since it was a holiday and nobody at all was around.

Sunday was Ferr'Agosto. The lovely holiday where everybody lives at the beach and they send Maria out in a boat or something, and they all jump in the water at midnight. Nowadays it marks the end of summer, even though summer isn't over until mid September. But Sunday was an exciting experience. We went to eat lunch at the Di Pietro's, our ward mission leader. And we ate a huge plate of pasta with mushrooms and ground beef, and then a big mozzarella thing with cream inside it, three kinds of lunch meat, and bread, and then steak and sausage, and then humungous shrimp, and then icecream. Ugh. I still feel full. We were there from 1-4. Yuck yuck yuck. And then we went out and talked to some people, and then at 7:30 we went to Luigi Pignatelli's house, a less-active and we ate with them too!!! Yikes. We ate a ton with them too, and they were fun, they talked a lot, we got home too late.

Monday we went looking for some kind of guide to the bus schedules. We didn't find one. But we talked to a whole lot of people and it was fun. We actually ended up without a single appointment the entire day, and just finding all day. And it worked out, we talked to a lot fo people.

Tuesday we had consiglio di distretto and then went home and made cheesecake brownies for the cooking contest at the church activity we organized. The "fa troppo caldo party" (it's too hot). It was a really good party, it went well. The people who came enjoyed it and it seemed like a success. We played water balloon volleyball, and dodgeball, and tug of war and had a watermelon eating contest (in teams to see who could eat it fastest). It was a lot of fun.

Today we're in Bari, it's Sorella Hirsh's last p-day so we're up here with the Sorelle. Plus they have a real internet point (ours is closed for all of August, and always closed during lunch hours, it's really dumb)

Well, we have to go catch a bus now, and get back to Taranto for an appointment that we've got in Statte. Should be an adventure.
I hope you have a great week, I love you a lot.

Oh yeah, they want everybody to send every type of mail to my apartment in Taranto, so if you could put that address on the internet instead that would be great. Also, whatever the Williamson's sent here, they lost it at the mission home and I may never get it. Woohoo! Good thing they called and told me about it so I know that it existed once...

Vi voglio un mondo di bene.[Wishing you a world of good?]
Eliza

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I belong with you, you belong with me

They'll learn much more than I'll ever know

and heaven's aid implore...