2 December 2009


So one of my favorite people this week is Sorella Iacono. She had a son who died when he was fourteen and she met the missionaries right after. Her younger son who was only a baby when the other died is not active and his family doesn't go to any church, and neither is her husband. She would love to help more people and visit more people but her husband is pretty antisocial and doesn't want to be friends with people and thinks it's pretty ridiculous that she wants to help everyone. Plus she's in pain almost all the time because she has bad osteoporosis. But she is so cool. She's in her early 70s. She literally counts EVERYTHING as a blessing. She prayed the other day that her clothes would dry because it was really cloudy and she was worried they wouldn't, and they did and she prayed again and told us she has no idea why God blesses her so much, she just looks at every little thing and sees the blessings in all of it. I love visiting her because she's always happy.

Another highlight of my week was singing "blowin in the wind" with Paolo Rapposelli. This guy is so cool and so not made for Ragusa. He listens to CCR blasting in his workshop, and he loves Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. He also paints, and plays tons of instruments and sings and makes beautiful furniture. He needs to stop smoking, but he thinks the cigarettes (which are really nasty like pure tar disgusting smoke that stays in the air forever after) are stronger than him. We're going to work with him on that. But he's like a voice teacher, I didn't know I was still a soprano but guess what I am and it sounds pretty decent too.

Elvira is progressing, she's pretty excited about the idea that we can have our families after death, that we won't just be pure spirits. She's cute.

The thing I hate the most in this place is people who try to feed us. Sometimes it's okay. But Sorella Rollo scares me, no kidding. I have no idea who she's been feeding but I don't think an elephant could eat what she tries to feed us. Luckily we were already out late and we were able to convince her that we could take it home with us and the food will literally feed us for a week. So sick.

We are dropping members from our list of people to visit. We've decided that we'll let the anziani visit if they want but I really don't think sisters should go visit them unless maybe the Sorella is alone. With them both together nothing gets done and he kind of thinks that it's all a game and he likes pretty girls coming over. Sick. After years of kissing Sorella missionaries hands, however, I told him last transfer that it wasn't allowed and he stopped. It wasn't cute.

Thanksgiving with our English course was a lot of fun, we gave them their first pumpkin pie. English course is still high up there on my list of favorites. I'm not sure how much we teach them but we give them a place to talk and it is sooo much fun. They're all so awesome and even though they're all at different levels they are so encouraging and helpful and patient with each other and with us. I love it. We've had a lot of pumpkin stuff this week though, pumpkin pie and then pumpkin bread. Italians think it's crazy that we make dolci with pumpkin, they use it for soups and gnocchi and stuff.

Sunday night we went to say hi to Sorella Iacono's mom and Slla & fllo Iacono and her sister and sis' husband were there. It was kind of cool, the sister and husband were way nice and STAYED this time and asked a lot of questions and we were able to teach them a lesson and they were just really cute. And Sorella Iacono was able to bear her testimony which she does all the time with them anyway she says, but it was awesome.

And we went to Clorinda's house as well to take her pumpkin bread since she had been working and missed pumpkin pie in english class, and she was excited about it and told us that it's really cool that she looks at us and we're always happy and we've got this light in our eyes that's totally different. And the Anziani have it too. And when she went to the branch pizza party/Melania and VIncenzo's wedding reception she noticed that Melania had it too, and a lot of the other people. We have quite the opening to teach with her...December 8th she'll read the Book of Mormon, she's got it all planned.

So, I will be at the Mission home Dec 11th for my MTC district Christmas reunion, and so I should get the package there. I'm not allowed to open it until Christmas though, Sorella Taranto is really adamant about that, we've gotten emails and stuff.

Tomorrow we start teaching the preschoolers English class. Woohooo, should be exciting. If you have any joyschool stuff you want to send me we'd like it. We found an English teaching book that has a few songs that we sang at that age. Emily Cascone was way excited to see us at her school too so that will be good.

Well, this is the last email of the transfer. Tomorrow we'll find out what the changes will be but I don't think that Ragusa is closing and I think I'll be staying here most likely.

Mom, you're so cool! You're doing what we're trying to get our members to do. Some stake in Utah got their members involved, first in making friends and then in slowly starting to share the gospel and went from zero to 46 convert baptisms in a year. It takes real people to be friends and help people out. Plus if you look at the missionary quotes in preach my gospel in the first chapter, pretty much every one is directed to members, not to missionaries.

Well, I love you guys!
Have a great week,

Eliza

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I belong with you, you belong with me

They'll learn much more than I'll ever know

and heaven's aid implore...