1 settembre 2009
Buon Giorno famiglia mia!
How is everyone?
This past week has been a good one. I've learned a ton, and we've had great speakers and such.
Elder Scott spoke last Tuesday and it was incredible. It was like being blessed for an hour straight, no kidding. He's a very captivating speaker, he doesn't get super excited like some do, but he's amazing. They always start off Devotionals and Firesides with a ten minute (okay maybe three) eulogy of the speaker---where they go on and on about every job and calling they've had, and President Smith (the MTC President) did his best to do that but Elder Scott stood up and said something like he's not dead yet, and "just tell them I love the missionaries." Then he started his talk by asking everyone who was learning a language to raise their hand, and there were a lot. And he talked a bit about learning languages and then used his Apostolic authority to confer upon us the gift of tongues, so that we can speak and teach in the language we're learning. Then he talked a lot about how we need to learn, and that it's most important to let the Spirit teach us. He then changed to talking about following spiritual promptings, even when we have no idea we need help, and he gave us a second Apostolic blessing of protection as a shield around us, according to our worthiness and obedience. These were pretty powerful blessings. He emphasized that Satan is real, and that he creates the illusion of power but he has NOTHING compared to what we've got---the Elders have the priesthood and the Sisters have prayer.
The last thing he said was that if we took nothing else away from his talk to always remember that "someone of insignificance as an individual, but with the mantle of an apostle of the Lord, said in my presence: I KNOW He lives, because I know him." It was a really awesome testimony. It was an amazing meeting to be in.
By the way, thank you for the jeans. They fit well, I'm excited to have them. Everyone was impressed that they fit into such a small box to be mailed. :) Thanks, they're great.
This Wednesday we got one new sister, no elders (in the Italian zone). There were supposed to be two sisters, but the one called and postponed indefinitely on the day she was supposed to come in. So Sorella Hostetter is all alone. She's technically with the other district that has sisters, but she's a solo sister, so she has a "solo" sticker on her tag and she has no real companion and no classmates. But she's fitting in well. She's older, 23, and last year she taught 11th grade English and History. But teaching the gospel is a lot different, because we have to adapt it for each individual.
We are definitely learning a lot. Yesterday (Mon. 8/31) in the RC we had to teach someone whose character (they tell the volunteers who to be) had recently been divorced, who was raising children alone, and whose brother had just died from cancer and this caused him to start drinking to avoid the problem. And we had to teach him the plan of salvation. It was pretty cool, we had taught that volunteer before and he had always been super stoic and unresponsive and this time he talked a lot and was on the verge of tears for a lot of the lesson. It was really neat---not that he was crying, just the feeling of the lesson was really cool.
Our large group meeting last Thursday was pretty good as well. I really enjoy hearing people's stories. And the idea that attitude makes all the difference here.
We're starting to get really excited about learning. I am kind of nervous though, but I'm sure it will be okay. And amazing. And we've seen a lot of really gorgeous pictures of Italy, it's pretty cool.
On Sunday, Sister Elaine S. Dalton (the Young Women's General President) spoke to us. She told us to be willing to step out of our comfort zones,because that's when the Spirit knows that you're willing to learn and that's when your faith really grows. She said to always remember to smile, that she's been really working on that one. And to remember the Young Women's theme in our life. She also talked about how we'd probably be the ones who forget "virtue" when we recite the theme, but that in reality we will never forget it, because it is what got us here. So we need to be cheerful and follow the Spirit. Relief Society is really cool---we always get really amazing speakers. Sundays are like devotional after devotional.
We took pictures as Sorelle at the temple, and we got some good ones. I'll send you my camera chip before I leave. I hope it's okay if I send home the books I won't need---I kind of want to keep the simple Italian books, but I won't need them there.
The Fireside on Sunday was also vary good. It's been a good week for speakers. It was all about Christ, and using the atonement and teaching everyone about the atonement and its blessings. It was incredibly sincere, and a very reverent "Amen" at the end from all the missionaries.
So, Italian is coming along. I'm still not excellent at speaking, but my comprehension is pretty good. I just need to remember to focus when someone's talking, because it's really easy, even when I understand everything they've said, to just let it all go in one ear and out the other. But I'm learning. We've had some interesting lesson moments where my companions have repeated back the same sentence some said just before them, or we've moved on to a new topic and they all of a sudden toss in something from ten minutes earlier and everyone's just like "What?" But we're gradually improving, and we're starting to smile and be more alive in our lessons. Which is a very good thing.
We should get flight plans on Wednesday or Thursday. I can't believe it's September already, it's gone pretty fast. And time is flying in classes and in lessons, so I'm sure it will keep going super fast which is kind of crazy.
We have lost our opportunity to go outside on Friday nights, because all of a sudden the sun is going down way earlier. It used to be that the sun was just starting to go down---Fridays our gym is from 8:10-9 pm, so we'd go to the field and play sand volleyball or croquet or something. Then one week it rained, and the next week it was too dark. So we now go outside on Saturday afternoons from 3:10-4, which is kind of hot. But last week we played kickball with the whole zone. The anziani can get pretty competitive, but it was fun.
Well, I can't really think of anything else to say! But I just want you to know that I love you, and I hope that you all have a great week. :)
Be happy!
Love you!
Sorella Eliza Stevenson
P.S. I hope you're from fires! Love you!
How is everyone?
This past week has been a good one. I've learned a ton, and we've had great speakers and such.
Elder Scott spoke last Tuesday and it was incredible. It was like being blessed for an hour straight, no kidding. He's a very captivating speaker, he doesn't get super excited like some do, but he's amazing. They always start off Devotionals and Firesides with a ten minute (okay maybe three) eulogy of the speaker---where they go on and on about every job and calling they've had, and President Smith (the MTC President) did his best to do that but Elder Scott stood up and said something like he's not dead yet, and "just tell them I love the missionaries." Then he started his talk by asking everyone who was learning a language to raise their hand, and there were a lot. And he talked a bit about learning languages and then used his Apostolic authority to confer upon us the gift of tongues, so that we can speak and teach in the language we're learning. Then he talked a lot about how we need to learn, and that it's most important to let the Spirit teach us. He then changed to talking about following spiritual promptings, even when we have no idea we need help, and he gave us a second Apostolic blessing of protection as a shield around us, according to our worthiness and obedience. These were pretty powerful blessings. He emphasized that Satan is real, and that he creates the illusion of power but he has NOTHING compared to what we've got---the Elders have the priesthood and the Sisters have prayer.
The last thing he said was that if we took nothing else away from his talk to always remember that "someone of insignificance as an individual, but with the mantle of an apostle of the Lord, said in my presence: I KNOW He lives, because I know him." It was a really awesome testimony. It was an amazing meeting to be in.
By the way, thank you for the jeans. They fit well, I'm excited to have them. Everyone was impressed that they fit into such a small box to be mailed. :) Thanks, they're great.
This Wednesday we got one new sister, no elders (in the Italian zone). There were supposed to be two sisters, but the one called and postponed indefinitely on the day she was supposed to come in. So Sorella Hostetter is all alone. She's technically with the other district that has sisters, but she's a solo sister, so she has a "solo" sticker on her tag and she has no real companion and no classmates. But she's fitting in well. She's older, 23, and last year she taught 11th grade English and History. But teaching the gospel is a lot different, because we have to adapt it for each individual.
We are definitely learning a lot. Yesterday (Mon. 8/31) in the RC we had to teach someone whose character (they tell the volunteers who to be) had recently been divorced, who was raising children alone, and whose brother had just died from cancer and this caused him to start drinking to avoid the problem. And we had to teach him the plan of salvation. It was pretty cool, we had taught that volunteer before and he had always been super stoic and unresponsive and this time he talked a lot and was on the verge of tears for a lot of the lesson. It was really neat---not that he was crying, just the feeling of the lesson was really cool.
Our large group meeting last Thursday was pretty good as well. I really enjoy hearing people's stories. And the idea that attitude makes all the difference here.
We're starting to get really excited about learning. I am kind of nervous though, but I'm sure it will be okay. And amazing. And we've seen a lot of really gorgeous pictures of Italy, it's pretty cool.
On Sunday, Sister Elaine S. Dalton (the Young Women's General President) spoke to us. She told us to be willing to step out of our comfort zones,because that's when the Spirit knows that you're willing to learn and that's when your faith really grows. She said to always remember to smile, that she's been really working on that one. And to remember the Young Women's theme in our life. She also talked about how we'd probably be the ones who forget "virtue" when we recite the theme, but that in reality we will never forget it, because it is what got us here. So we need to be cheerful and follow the Spirit. Relief Society is really cool---we always get really amazing speakers. Sundays are like devotional after devotional.
We took pictures as Sorelle at the temple, and we got some good ones. I'll send you my camera chip before I leave. I hope it's okay if I send home the books I won't need---I kind of want to keep the simple Italian books, but I won't need them there.
The Fireside on Sunday was also vary good. It's been a good week for speakers. It was all about Christ, and using the atonement and teaching everyone about the atonement and its blessings. It was incredibly sincere, and a very reverent "Amen" at the end from all the missionaries.
So, Italian is coming along. I'm still not excellent at speaking, but my comprehension is pretty good. I just need to remember to focus when someone's talking, because it's really easy, even when I understand everything they've said, to just let it all go in one ear and out the other. But I'm learning. We've had some interesting lesson moments where my companions have repeated back the same sentence some said just before them, or we've moved on to a new topic and they all of a sudden toss in something from ten minutes earlier and everyone's just like "What?" But we're gradually improving, and we're starting to smile and be more alive in our lessons. Which is a very good thing.
We should get flight plans on Wednesday or Thursday. I can't believe it's September already, it's gone pretty fast. And time is flying in classes and in lessons, so I'm sure it will keep going super fast which is kind of crazy.
We have lost our opportunity to go outside on Friday nights, because all of a sudden the sun is going down way earlier. It used to be that the sun was just starting to go down---Fridays our gym is from 8:10-9 pm, so we'd go to the field and play sand volleyball or croquet or something. Then one week it rained, and the next week it was too dark. So we now go outside on Saturday afternoons from 3:10-4, which is kind of hot. But last week we played kickball with the whole zone. The anziani can get pretty competitive, but it was fun.
Well, I can't really think of anything else to say! But I just want you to know that I love you, and I hope that you all have a great week. :)
Be happy!
Love you!
Sorella Eliza Stevenson
P.S. I hope you're from fires! Love you!
Comments